Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheesy Croutons
Image credit: pinchandswirl.com
There’s nothing like a big bowl of comforting, flavoursome soup on a cold winters day.
With a tinned-tomato base for this Creamy Tomato Soup, and dried Italian seasoning – you should have everything you need for this delicious winter soup right in your pantry! For your canned tomatos, you can use your favourtie imported canned tomatos from Italy or a typical supermarket variety of whole, diced, or crushed tomotoes - anything will work.
FOR TOMATO SOUP:
- 2 T (tablespoons) olive oil
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 t (teaspoon) Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 6 saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
FOR CHEESE CROUTONS:
- 4 X 2.5 cm thick slices French or Italian bread, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t each salt and pepper
- 30 g cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat until melted and sizzling. Add chopped onion and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, saffron and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and stir to coat and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add a bay leaf, the can of tomato with juices and chicken broth and bring to a simmer before reducing heat to medium. Gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Very carefully transfer soup to a blender or use a hand blender to blend soup until smooth. Return to saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare your croutons. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Line a sheet pan with tin foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Toss the bread cubes in a bowl with olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add the olive oil a little bit at a time, tossing well to ensure the bread cubes are evenly coated.
- Spread bread cubes in a single layer on prepared sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes then toss and bake for another 3 minutes more or until bread is crispy and golden brown.
- Slice cheese into thin slices, cut into squares and arrange these on top of each crouton. Bake for a further 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve your Creamy Tomato Soup topped with cheese croutons, a sprinkle of black pepper and torn fresh basil leaves, herbs or microgreens.
Are you going to give this recipe a try? Share how it came out – we’d love to hear!