A Simple Recipe for Christmas Roast Chicken
Treat your friends and family to a succulent roast chicken sit-down dinner packed with Christmassy flavours!
Serves 6 people
- 1 whole chicken approximately 3.5 - 4kg
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 lemon
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Zest a lemon and crush the garlic cloves of one head of garlic. Mix together with the butter, paprika, rosemary and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Rub some of the butter mixture between the skin and flesh of the chicken. Rub the remaining butter all over the outside of the chicken as well as inside the cavity. Season well. Cut the lemon that was used for zest into quarters and pop into the cavity and then bind the legs with kitchen string. Tuck the wings into the leg joints. Or better yet, stuff your chicken with your favourite stuffing recipe. For many a chicken stuffing is the best part of a Christmas dinner! A succulent stuffing will not only flavour the meat but also helps keep it tender!
- Cook your chicken in a casserole dish, breast side up, for 60-80 minutes or until the juices run clear when you cut into the thigh.
TIPS FOR AN EXTRA JUICY CHRISTMAS ROAST CHICKEN
For a juicy roast chicken the most important thing is to not to overcook it! But resting your chicken upside down is another great tip to keep a roast chicken moist! It may flatten the chicken a little but your chicken will be wonderfully succulent as the juices flow back to the chicken. If you have larger chicken and roast it for longer you can also turn it around a few times during the roasting process.
Are you planning a Christmas dinner? Share your menu with us – we would love to hear from you!