How to Plan the Perfect Summer Picnic
Try picturing blue skies, tranquil surroundings and a lovely warm breeze against your skin. Now all you need to add to that picture is a picnic blanket, some delicious food and drinks and you’ve captured the summer spirit!
When organising a picnic, you obviously want it to be as carefree as possible. That’s why we’ve compiled a helpful checklist that lets you maximise the fun and minimise the stress.
The Perfect Picnic Checklist:
1. Picnic blanket
What is a picnic without a picnic blanket! If you’re one of those people who like to party from dusk until dawn, then it’s probably best not to let morning or evening dew put a dampener on things. Bring along a black garbage bag to lie under your blanket.
A few creature comforts are certainly allowed - bring along some old scatter cushions that you don’t mind getting a little dirt on.
3. Cooler bags and reusable icepacks
These are an obvious choice if you plan to stay outdoors all day and don’t want your food to spoil.
4. Sunscreen and hats
You don’t want to go without sun protection, especially considering South Africa’s unforgiving UV rays!
5. Wet wipes, hand sanitiser, serviettes
Let’s not be uncivilised just because we’re eating on the ground!
6. Mosquito/bug repellent
Its easy to forget about those nasty little critters when your mind is on making mouth-watering meals, so don’t let your worry-free day be interrupted with itching and scratching.
7. Paper towel, cloths
Picnicking can get rather messy with all the uneven terrain, making you prone to a little clumsiness. You’ll definitely need something to clean up the mess.
Stay refreshed with these simple thirst-quenching recipes:
- Home made Lemonade: Good old-fashioned lemonade is the perfect compliment to a sunny day and it’s easy to make your own.
- Iced Coffee: If you need that caffeine boost, but need to cool it down we have the perfect recipe for you.
Keep it light and easy with the following summer recipe ideas:
- Apple, cranberry and chicken wraps: Make those classic wraps a touch more interesting with this delectable recipe.
- Strawberry and Feta Salad: This is no ordinary salad recipe. It has an assortment of flavours that will definitely please your pallet.
End off your perfect picnic with a few tempting treats:
- Dessert kebabs: Add a little flair to your desert with this inventive idea.
- Banana Toffee cupcakes:Cupcakes are quick and easy to bake and never leave you or your guests disappointed.
11. Plastic packet
After all the sun and smiles, you may want to make your life easier by throwing all your rubbish into a plastic packet – saving you a scary mess when you get home.
With a little forward thinking and common sense, you won’t have to lift a finger when picnicking; all you’ll have to do is lie back and soak up the sun.